08 January 2016

Thank you USA!

I had a lovely visit to the USA over Christmas. Now that I'm back in South Africa for another round of intentional community development, I'm reflecting on some things that have become my missionary life …


1. USA life is foreign to me now.
The pace, the food, the choices, the constant conversation … these things are overwhelming when coming back for a visit. In South Africa, things run slower, the choices are fewer and simpler, and I'm not as scheduled. When I try to keep up with American life and ways, I can't keep up!


2. The USA is for refreshing, not resting.
People are always getting on to me about the schedule I keep in America. But let me reverse it … you guys are the ones asking for time-spent, so it's not my fault! I'm trying to see you all! And I want to! My time in the USA is never restful, but it's purposefully refreshing. I get to fill up my relational-tank, make memories, catch up on conversations I've missed over the year gone, do fun things, and then have the encouragement to go back and endure the lonely days and harsh environment. THANK YOU to all who filled that encouragement tank!


3. I will always disappoint.
And to point 2, I add …
I feel I'm constantly disappointing people when I'm in the US. There's never enough time, there aren't enough days; I can't do it all. I try my hardest to visit those that want to catch up, but it's never enough. And to those I wasn't able to see AT ALL this visit, FORGIVE ME; I'll visit again in a year or so. Again, I always disappoint.


4. Your food is killer!
No seriously. I physically feel awful.
It took me being fully removed from American culture to understand that how we eat in America is NOT good. Maybe it's the mega-stores with "bulk savings," the boxed pre-prepared meals, or the allure of social eating in restaurants. I thought I knew how to cook until I had to learn to cook from SCRATCH in South Africa. In America, I was used to cooking with ingredients that aren't natural – things that could sit in a pantry or frig for a month. Here in South Africa, you use whatever's available fresh (and beware things spoil quickly) and learn to be creative! Want pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dinner … you better learn to puree a real pumpkin, not open a can! It's been a culinary mission for sure!

While the treat of American food was great for a month, my body took a toll. I tried to have self-control, but when you're being hosted, you're just thankful for the food provided and the company with it! Can't complain!


5. I need you to remember me!
Remember me throughout your year. When your family gathers and shares milestones, send a picture! When you feel lonely and have no one to share your challenging day with, email me. When you hear an amazing sermon, read a verse that's inspiring, or have a prompt in your spirit to contact a missionary, reach out! I don't need you to find 2 hours to type a 5 page update about what I've missed and what you want to share. Sometimes just knowing I'm not forgotten over the waters and through the miles is what encourages me most.

I need to hear from you guys. Your prayers are so important. Your communication is valued. Your support is what keeps this mission going.




Thank you to all who shared their homes, food, finances, and lives with me during my visit to America. I appreciate you caring about missions and me! I'm back on the mission field, trying to get over jetlag and ready for another year of watching God show up and be God!

I'll keep you posted. You do the same!


..........................
Melanie Dill

No comments:

Melanie's website.

www.melaniedill.com